Beginner Kiting Lesson Time: 3 hours of Professional Kiteboarding Instruction
Monday-Sunday Cost: $210 When: All year long. Reserve your lesson in advance to ensure availability. Where: Located in Kahului, Maui at world renown Kite Beach
If you’ve never kiteboarded before than this will be your first chance to feel the raw power of a kite. You will have a 1:1 student to teacher ratio. You and your instructor will go over the following kiteboard skills, so you can learn how to do this extreme sport safely and efficiently:
1. Fly A Trainer Kite - If you haven't had the chance to fly a trainer kite, your instructor will have you fly one for about 10 minutes before you fly a power kite. We do this because it makes flying a power kite safer, but it also makes you learn faster.
2. Setup Your Kiteboard Gear - Setting up your equipment is extremely important. It can mean the difference between a happy kite session on the water or an unhappy one in the hospital. We will spend plenty of time on making sure you get this part right because we want you safe!
3. Wind-Windows, Self-Rescue, & Other Kiteboard Knowledge - Your instructor will go into detail on how to fly your kite, what to do if you're a mile offshore and you break a line, and other essential skills that will make your kiteboarding experience fun and safe.
4. Launch & Land A Power Kite - Your instructor will show you how to launch and land a power kite. This entails learning hand signals, knowing where to position yourself if you're the kite flyer or kite catcher, and when to let go or catch the kite.
5. Fly An Inflatable Power Kite With Assistance - You will fly the inflatable power kite with the assistance of your instructor on the beach. You will be shown where to safetly position your kite in the air, but he or she will be able to fine tune your kite flying before you head on the water.
6. Fly The Kite Solo On The Beach- Once you've mastered flying the kite assisted, you're instructor will let you fly the kite by yourself with your instructor holding on the back of your harness. Holding on the back of your harness will ensure safety at all times while learning.
7. Body Drag - This will be your first chance to feel the raw power of the kite. Your instructor will provide specific constant feedback because we are in the water with you. You will experience this by body dragging in the water well away from land and other obstacles. Your instructor will show you how to position your body in the water, so you can progress to dragging upwind.
8. Solo Body Drag Upwind- After you feel comfortable body dragging with your instructor, you will have the chance to drag without him. You will be provided with a waterproof walkie talkie, so we will always be a click away for your safety and progression as a kiteboarder. Being able to body drag upwind is a critical step to be able to effectively and efficiently manage your board with the kite.
9. Board Drags - You will get the board, but you will learn to drag with it first. Your instructor will be on the back of your harness for the first body drags with the board. Once you feel comfortable, you may body drag with your board without your instructor but only when we have you connected with our waterproof walkie talkies. When you can stay upwind with the board, this is when its time to progress to water starts.
Water Starts and Board Riding- You're instructor will drag out in the water with you when you're doing your first water starts. He or she will provide you with specific feedback to get you up and riding safely and efficiently. And once you can comfortably water start, we will take you on a 1 mile downwind run. This is the best and most efficient way to learn to effectively ride your board since you'll have anywhere from 30 minutes to 90 minutes of board riding. We will be right alongside you on the 1 mile downwind run because we're paddling a longboard surfboard. If you need any assistance while kiting on this downwinder, we will be right in the water with you!
"Kiting.com Gives The Best Kiteboard Lessons. These Guys Make Kiteboarding Fun! " (Dan Burns, Maui HI)
All lessons are by appointment. We will take reservations the day of the lesson or up to a year in advance. All lessons are subject to weather conditions, of course. If the weather is not suitable for your lesson, it will be postponed until conditions are right for your lesson. There is no charge for lessons canceled due to bad weather. Reservations are recommended, especially if you request a specific instructor.
Current Wind / Forecasted Wind at Maui Kite Beach
For those who know they want to get into the sport and need to learn all the skills to become fully independent.
We will meet you at our shop located at 111 Hana Highway #108 at our Naish Kiteboarding Shop. You can check out all of the new 2015 Naish Kiteboarding gear before or after your lesson. Your instructor will be able to provide you with specific recommendations to purchase new Naish kiteboarding equipment after your lesson. And every student that takes lessons with Maui Kitesurfing School will be entitled to receive a 10% discount on all kiteboarding equipment in the Naish store.
Kiting Requirements: Every student must be comfortable in the water, and you must be able to swim.
Age Requirements: 12 years old to 80. If you are under the age of 18, a parent or guardian must be present at the start of the lesson to sign waivers for their dependent. Also, we can teach children under the age of 12, but this will be decided by a case-by-case basis.
Weight Requirements: 50lbs to 280lbs
When: 7 days a week from 11 am until sunset and when the wind is more than 15 mph. The first lesson of the day will commence at 11am, and the last lesson of the day will commence at 2pm.
Pick-Ups: We can arrange to pick up and drop students off within the Kahului area for an additional $20. Students outside of the Kahului area can be picked up and dropped off for an additional $40.
Wind Requirements: To make your kiteboarding lesson fun, safe, and easy to learn, we need at least 15mph of wind. If the wind is less than 15mph, your lesson will need to be rescheduled or refunded.
Where: Kite Beach Kanaha, Maui, Hawaii located in Kahului. Look for our Kiting.com truck.
What you need to bring:
- Towel & change of clothes if needed
- Swimming suit
- Drinks besides water, sunscreen, lunch, etc.
- Sunglasses and/or a hat if needed
We supply the following kiting gear required to be able to kiteboard: 2015 Naish kites, harnesses, helmets, bar and lines, impact vests, lycra rash guards, waterproof radios, pumps, kiteboards, snacks, water, and your professional kiteboarding instructor.
If you would like to purchase lessons by the hour, please click here Kiteboarding Lessons By The Hour. "Please note that it generally takes more than one 3 hour lesson to be able to kite with the board." To book your lesson, call our booking office at 1-808-852-1938 or purchase your lesson through our shopping cart. We look forward to teaching you, and getting you hooked on the BEST EXTREME SPORT IN THE WORLD! Please inquire further for more information. Click Here For Directions To Your Maui Kiteboard Lesson